Sunday, December 02, 2007

World AIDS Day

As many of you know December 1st is World AIDS Day. I went to Emory where they had the AIDS Memorial Quilt on display. It was quite moving. I was not sure how to process it all...suffice it to say I was moved and heartbroken. There were all sorts of panels of many lives lost, here are a few photos I took.

This is Dr. Julie Gerberding from the CDC giving a speech.


This is one of the many quilt panels that are representative of a life lost to AIDS.


You can see here just a few of the many quilts on display
Many lives lost to AIDS some of the panels are quite dramatic, probably as the dramatic as the lives lost.

All types of people, young, old, straight, gay, married, single, preppy and as you see above Star Trek geeks as well.


Some of the panels were great expressions of people lives, all of them touching.



One I found was blank (save a couple of stitches in the bottom corner) I was not sure what to make of it. I chose to see it as a life that has left a blank spot in the lives of many.

I was touched deeply by the display of the quilts. I was also reminded that this was only a small section of the world affected by HIV/AIDS. Let us keep all people directly affect by HIV/AIDS in our prayers. Peace

No comments: