Saturday, June 21, 2008
Friday, June 20, 2008
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
When we arrived the other day I was a bit tired. I asked Bryan "how do you spell sweet?" "S-W-E-E-T" Then I asked "then what the heck is Pocari Sweat?" Well I finally found some tonight after going to my second Onsen. I would say both the onsen and the Pocari Sweat hit the spot. Goodnight.
- The train to Fujimi was easy as could be. Three trains about 2.5 hours and we were here.
- The food, especially the onigiri has lived up to my expectations, and then some, I can't wait to get to Tokyo and have more.
- The toilette situation on the train was unique, people could look into the bathroom, not sure if anyone did however.
- The scenery on the train was quite impressive.
- The people here, especially the Benedictines have outdone themselves in hospitality.
- Fr. Kieran showed us around the area a bit on Tuesday.
- We went to the hut of Fr. Shigeto Oshida, a Dominican priest as well as a Zen master. He is dead now but the community at Takamori Soan lives on. The chapel was small and quite nice, very dark, but cozy. The outdoor memorial to the victims of Japan's war of the 20th century was quite impressive. I have a panoramic of the place in the photos, but I will place it after this text as well.
- Last night we went to the Onsen, as you read earlier.
- Today I had a great time in prayer (mostly the book I am reading) and then a nice run.
- After Mass today we had lunch outside under the Cherry tree...the croquet.
- Rested a bit this afternoon and then Fr. Jay (a priest from the Philippines who is living in the monastery while ministering to the Filipino community in the area) invited me for some tennis, I could not pass up the opportunity to do a corporal work of mercy for my brother priest as he has not played tennis in a year and was dying to play...that is what kind of guy I am always ready to give of myself. Also Fr. Jay promised more Onsen tonight for my sore muscles.
- The final shot in the roll and here is of the town of Fujimi, quaint and beautiful.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
FYI tomorrow is Anniversary day photos...
Monday, June 16, 2008
Sunday, June 15, 2008
So somewhere over the ocean we passed a line...and it was there that I
lost the chance to see the sunset for only the second time in my life.
(I went to China in 1999) Anyway I think it was there that it really
finally hit me that I am actually going to Japan. For some reason it
has taken me this long to get it through my thick skull. I can't wait
for this big bird to land safely.
Sent from iPhone
from a great nap and when I saw this I thought..."how long have I been
asleep???" Well it is indeed lying to me for some reason, maybe it
has to do with passing the intl date line or something. It still does
not take away the fact that it still was one great nap! More later,
typing this but consider this a play by play. We have just eaten
lunch, fwiw we did get upgraded, very nice! As you can see from the
photo we are just over South Dakota. I just finished watching Legend
with Will Smith, not bad to watch while eating lunch. Just going to
relax now as it is almost 2am Tokyo time and I need my beauty sleep.