Saturday, January 23, 2010

A nice article about cats in prison.

Amazing work of cats in a prisons in Indiana. If you are a cat person you will like this article.

"The Assistant Superindent of the prison tells me, “I know there are people out there who think the offenders shouldn’t have cats. Some people don’t want them to have TV or anything to do. But I would support this cat program at any prison. Those cats humanize the men. The cats give them unconditional love, for many of those guys, that may be the only love they have ever experienced in their lives. And the bottom line for me, is that my staff are safer because of it. Every day that none of my staff gets hurt—that’s a good day. Watching over these guys is a dangerous job. And anything that makes that job safer is good with me.”"

1 comment:

Not Waving But Drowning said...

It benefits many. There are often feral cats having kittens around prisons. People also dump off unwanted pets near these areas, figuring they'll make do. Some of these men have no visitors. They spend the money they earn buying food and toys for their pets. The animals also make them think twice before acting out. They know that if they get transferred to another facility, they will lose their pet. Also, it's wonderful to see cats about for some of the staff. It's an otherwise depressing place.