Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Font

Well, I showed you the looks of the old font and the mold, yuck to mold. Anyway we are moving right along with the new font and a couple of weeks ago I asked the parishioners to vote on which tile they liked for a trim piece in the font, we still have not made a final decision on that, so more info on that later. Just so you are aware I am going to post of bit of what the new font will look like.

We are going to have a cruciform baptismal font. It will be quite substantial, 10'x10', it will be able to accommodate a full immersion Baptism of an adult. It should be quite nice, and I am really looking forward to it. Bob Imsand, a parishioner is constructing it for us. So some more about it. In two of the arms of the cross there will be steps descending in the main section of the font. On the center arm of the font the following will be done in a mosaic.

I know that is not the best photo, but it is the best I could do. Anyway the colors will be vibrant and the cross will be done in gold. It should look great. The design is done such that which ever side of the font you are on the mosaic will be right side up. It was done by Linda McCarrey of our parish.
As of today Linda and Bob are getting the mosaic tile order put together while Bob continues to move right along with the rest of the construction progress. Well there is some information for you, if you have further questions let me know, I will try to answer them as soon as I can. Peace

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the ark?

Anonymous said...

Showing the design to others and the term "gay" came up and I don't think they meant happy. Hmmmm.

Fr. Vic said...

Well, the rainbow has been used by many different groups, we will rely on the Biblical understanding of it.

Anonymous said...

Well, as long as we are talking about interpretations, I always thought the rainbow was the sign of the Covenant between God and Noah and the Scallop shell was the sign for Baptism, but I suppose this is subject to interpretation also.

Fr. Vic said...

Yes the theme of covenant and water are carried out by the rainbow in the font. Likewise the font at St. Peter's also has the rainbow and Noah theme around its font.

Anonymous said...

Very nice design - sounds impressive. I am sure it will look fabulous when it is done. AFGG

Anonymous said...

Looks like I am outvoted on my opinion and the shell theme for baptism is outmoded and outclassed by your rainbow. Sorry for the misinformation!