Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Rice

Seems as if there is lots out there about rice so here is a quick post gathered from recommendations of others and stuff I have found myself. You know how much I love rice and have even posted about my new favorite forbidden rice. Well Jim Immel sent me this link to a project that donates rice, with a small catch. From their website:

FreeRice has two goals:

  1. Provide English vocabulary to everyone for free.
  2. Help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free.

This is made possible by the sponsors who advertise on this site.

I thought this sounded fishy so I checked it out and it all seems to be on the up and up. I have a personal best, so far, of 1100 Grains donated on a Vocabulary Level of 40, can you top that? Freerice also has a sister site Poverty.com, I would encourage you to go read some of their stuff on poverty...find out where the US falls in a list of countries who give to help the poor of the world. Find out the different diseases that are made worse (or deadly) because of poverty.

Then the boingers had a vlog about rice used to show demographics. It was done by a group called Stan's Cafe, a theatre company. Here are some links about the display: here, and here , and of course here is a video. Enjoy


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about level 45 and 3280 grains of rice. jb