Tuesday, April 01, 2008

awesome news and sad news

Well I have been under strict silence, since about the beginning of February, over some huge news but now that we are out of March I can tell you. I wanted to make it a more public statement last week at all the Sunday Masses, but I could not (contractual obligations, so I will have more details this Sunday at each Mass) so here goes...

Well you know that Oprah has a new show called Oprah's Big Give, well they were in Palmetto a few months back filming part of an episode. Well the producers heard about our Adventures in Stewardship and the return we had, and they loved the idea and wanted to meet me to discuss the program and how it worked. Well after speaking with Archbishop Gregory and the producers of the show, guess who is going to be on the show next season??? That is correct...ME! I could not believe it myself once things started to fall together. It seemed as if there was some divine plan to get me on the show. I have had to fly to Chicago twice for interviews, plus numerous phone interviews and tons of stuff written (I felt like I was back in seminary with all the writing) to explain my philosophy of service and my work with CRS. This new season will take place not only in the USA but also around the world! Sweet huh? I will leave at the end of May to begin filming the show, I cannot wait. Now for the sad news...

After speaking with the Archbishop at length about my involvement in the show, he was quite clear that if I went on the show I could not stay as Pastor of St. Matthew. He felt the amount of time I will need to give to the show would be too much for me to maintain my pastoring of St. Matthew, I did not think so but, he is the boss and all. He and I have had numerous conversations about the ramifications of my decision to go on the show, but I know that there will be other parishes to work in...this is after all for a good cause...I mean I will get to meet Oprah and could win $1,000,000! I just know the good people of St. Matthew would want me to meet Oprah and to win some cash! Who knows maybe I will be assigned to a parish close by (say 45 minutes or less commute) and some people could just follow me over there (it is not unheard of 'don't ya' know'). Heck if I win the money I am sure people will be flocking to wherever I am. I am sorry this news has had to come out like this but I think it is the best way I have of getting news out to people who are concerned with what is happening in my life--I know this because Google Analytics tells me that more than 100 people a day stop by the blog, Thanks for your understanding in all this and as Bartles and James used to say..."And thank you for your support."



UPDATE: Well as most of you have guessed this way my foray into April Fools frivolity. Yes the entire post was a joke. I have had tons of calls and plenty of emails about this one. Most people caught on, some played along (Fr. Bryan & David Long) and others (AFGG, ACG & KGF my siblings) did not get it at first and then wised up a bit. It was meant if the spirit of fun so I hope you took it as such. If you notice in the original post there were a few markers that could have clued you in. 1. The time was 4:01 (April 1); 2. The date of the post itself could lead to suspicion; 3. The ellipsis at the very end of the post is actually three links to April Fools sites; 4. I would never leave St. Matthew to try to win a million dollars (unless it was on The Amazing Race) ...no seriously I am wealthy beyond measure with such a wonderful parish family; 5. Oprah would never put me on one of her shows...I would upstage her! Peace

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so full of it I know what today is - thanks to RLG. We have you figured out this is all a big April Fools Joke. You got me but only until Richard said think about what the date is - hehehe. AFGG

Anonymous said...

Today is April 1. Is this some kind of a joke? jb

Unknown said...

If this isn't one of the best April fool joke's I have seen in a good while. Good one Father. Larry

Unknown said...

As a brother priest who has also been on TV, I can tell you that National Exposure changes how your people perceive and interact with you. There is great wisdom in the Archbishop's decision and I have no doubt that at least some of your parishioners are elated that such a good thing has happened to their pastor and that you'll be moving on.

David Long said...

We could start a campaign to keep you here. If we send out 1,000,000 letters each asking for a $1 donation, and get 100% response, you'd still get the cool $1,000,000 and not have to leave the parish.

Not meeting Oprah - I'm sure you'd be disappointed, but it would save you from all of the stress of moving.

Anonymous said...

Isn't today April 1?

Tom Sheehan said...

Isn't today April 1???

Anonymous said...

APRIL FOOLS.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anonymous said...

OK - Best April Fool's in a long time. You had me going, I called Mom and asked what she knew about this - before I could finish the my thought, I noted the date on the post. So, OKC thinks this is a great one. I'll print it for Donna - expect a call. ACG

Anonymous said...

Father Vic
Why did this announcement arrive on April 1 or April Fools Day? Please explain.
No you don't have to post my question either.

Rhonda said...

*snort* Happy April Fool's Day to you, too, Father Vic!

God's peace,

Rhonda Boyle

Fr. Vic said...

thanks for the comments folks!

Anonymous said...

If you could take my BP right now! HAHA. (Not even funny!!) Although, it would have been pretty awesome.

JY

Anonymous said...

Fr Vic
You are as bad as ever!! Always a practical joker but it caused me to read about your Adventures in Stewardship. Neat ideal almost as good as selling eggs door to door for a fund raiser.

Pax
Bernie