Monday, April 28, 2008

Another mindteaser...

You remember this, don't you. Well here is another one. First with correct answer wins. Good luck!


In Hawaii, if you drop a steel ball weighing five pounds from a height of 45 inches, will it fall more rapidly through water at 20 degrees Fahrenheit or water at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Or will it make no difference?


UPDATE:So the winner is our seminarian Mark Starr (darn engineers they ruin the fun so quickly, don't they...heheheheh). The correct answer is 40 degrees Fahrenheit. At 20 degrees Fahrenheit the water would be ice.

Stay tuned for more to come. Peace

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have water at 20 degrees F, then it will be frozen, so the ball will not go through it at all, therefore the answer is 40 degrees F

Anonymous said...

I want to win - so my answer is 40 degrees Fahrenheit because at 20 degrees Fahrenheit the water would be frozen ice. You would also have to be in a really cold place in Hawaii to even find water at 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Did you know I was that smart to come up with the answer????

Anonymous said...

Water at 20 degrees Fahrenheit is ice, so the ball would move more rapidly through the water at 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I originally had a lot more written about what would happen with different volumes and if there were different forces acting on the balls but then I realized I was probably just over thinking the question. Yay finals week at Tech.

-Jacky

Spexican924 said...

Basing this off a limited knowledge base, the water at 20 degrees would probably be frozen. Just a guess. So, I'm guessing that it would be slowed down considerably.

Fr. Vic said...

Anonymous number 1 you did not win, and if you had won I do not know you who you are...so again make sure to sign your posts pretty please...peace

Anonymous said...

Oh shot darn signing of the post I forgot that part - did you ever think it was me AFGG! Maybe next time.