Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Japan part 1

Ok below you are going to see some photos from my first three days in Japan. It has been truly wonderful and relaxing so far. Pray, eat, sleep, rest, exercise, walk about etc... everything I needed in a retreat. Here are the photos and I will explain a bit after they are done.



  • The train to Fujimi was easy as could be. Three trains about 2.5 hours and we were here.
  • The food, especially the onigiri has lived up to my expectations, and then some, I can't wait to get to Tokyo and have more.
  • The toilette situation on the train was unique, people could look into the bathroom, not sure if anyone did however.
  • The scenery on the train was quite impressive.
  • The people here, especially the Benedictines have outdone themselves in hospitality.
  • Fr. Kieran showed us around the area a bit on Tuesday.
  • We went to the hut of Fr. Shigeto Oshida, a Dominican priest as well as a Zen master. He is dead now but the community at Takamori Soan lives on. The chapel was small and quite nice, very dark, but cozy. The outdoor memorial to the victims of Japan's war of the 20th century was quite impressive. I have a panoramic of the place in the photos, but I will place it after this text as well.
  • Last night we went to the Onsen, as you read earlier.
  • Today I had a great time in prayer (mostly the book I am reading) and then a nice run.
  • After Mass today we had lunch outside under the Cherry tree...the croquet.
  • Rested a bit this afternoon and then Fr. Jay (a priest from the Philippines who is living in the monastery while ministering to the Filipino community in the area) invited me for some tennis, I could not pass up the opportunity to do a corporal work of mercy for my brother priest as he has not played tennis in a year and was dying to play...that is what kind of guy I am always ready to give of myself. Also Fr. Jay promised more Onsen tonight for my sore muscles.
  • The final shot in the roll and here is of the town of Fujimi, quaint and beautiful.



click for larger photos

No comments: